Serving Memphis, Cordova, Germantown & Collierville TN
The holiday season is behind us, and it’s a fresh new year. And while gatherings often result in good cheer, that’s not always the case. Bugs gathering or living inside your home is not a cozy and comfortable experience for you. It can send chills down your spine as a homeowner. Plus, some pest harbor and transmit diseases that could affect your overall health. The last thing you want to worry about or deal with is bugs like ants, spiders, roaches, and other common household pests. Therefore, today on the blog, we share tips for keeping pests out of your home this year.
Common Household Pests in Cordova
No matter if your home is new or old, pests don’t care. They are on the hunt for warmth and food. Therefore, your home could end up being their home, too. Common household pests in Cordova include roaches, ants, and spiders.
Here’s why these pests are a threat to homeowners
- Cockroaches are nocturnal, which means they are most active at night or in the dark. So, homeowners usually don’t notice roaches until there is an established infestation. German cockroaches are known for transmitting and spreading E. coli and Salmonella, which can make allergies and some health problems worse. These roaches usually seek shelter and breed in or around natural materials like wood and cardboard. Almost every home is constructed from wood and many homeowners have cardboard boxes in closets, attics, and basements for storing unused items and collectibles.
- Ants are a nuisance in many homes in Cordova. These tiny creatures usually don’t pose much of a threat to homeowners unless you’re experiencing an infestation. However, some ant species can bite, leaving rashes or itchy marks on the skin. Ants prefer kitchens and bathrooms in search of food and water. They often will hide underneath items, inside cabinets or walls, although they can be seen any time of day or night.
- Spiders are another nuisance for homeowners, and spotting these eight-legged creatures inside your home likely means they are there for the food (other bugs). Most spiders are harmless to humans, although they may leave an allergic reaction on the skin if bitten by one. However, brown recluse and black widow spiders are venomous spiders that could invoke a life-threatening reaction. Most spiders lurk in corners of rooms, under or behind furniture, inside closets and cabinets or boxes, and even shoes. We’d like to let homeowners know that brown recluse or black widow treatments fall outside of our usual pest control maintenance program. Therefore, the treatment of these species may require an additional charge.
Tips on keeping these common household insects out of your home this year.
Here are a few steps you can take to reduce pests inside your home
- Use crushed stone or rock, instead of mulch and pine straw, in your flowerbeds that are alongside your home or foundation.
- Fix leaky plumbing or pipes.
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home, including doors and window seals.
- Keep trees and shrubs trimmed so that they do not touch your house.
- Stack firewood at least 20 feet away from your house (not on your porch or against the home).
- Regularly check under sinks for moisture or leaks.
- Get year-round pest control treatments.
Pest Control Treatments in Cordova and Memphis
Prevention is always best when it comes to pests. It’s better to prevent them during the winter so that you have a jump start on spring pest control. We’d like to help you feel comfortable and at ease inside your home by handling your pest control needs. To learn more about pest control treatments or how to reduce pests inside your home, please call AAA Termite and Pest Control at (901) 737-7378 or contact us online.